The International University Sports Federation (FISU) is a sports organisation founded in 1949 to develop and promote sport among students worldwide. The organisation is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The FISU empowers and inspires students around the world to do sport. Health, well-being and experience that students gain from the sporting process help them to become worthy members of society and serve as positive role models to those around them.
The FISU organises world-class sports and educational events aimed at providing students with opportunities to achieve excellence of mind and body.
Everything you need to know about FISU
Objectives of the organisation
The FISU outcomes and the ways to achieve them have been set out in the Global Strategy 2027.
- Developing ambition and enhancing opportunities for students and student communities in sport. The FISU achieves that goal by organising high-level sports events. They combine intellectual and physical development as well as forming a platform for friendly dialogue between participants from all over the world.
- The FISU focuses on key activities that directly support the development of the students sports movement. The FISU pursues this goal by improving the quality of university sport and by strengthening ties with universities, continental and national student federations.
- Strengthening external relations which through sports events enhances the organisational capacity of the FISU and the competitiveness of its members on the world sports arena. In future years, the FISU intends to strengthen cooperation with the International Olympic Committee as well as with international educational and sports organisations.
A number of sports and educational activities take place under the umbrella of the FISU student sport movement:
- FISU World University Games (winter and summer editions)
- FISU World University Championships
- FISU University World Cups
- FISU World Forum
- FISU World Conference
- FISU Volunteer Leaders Academy
- International Day of University Sport
- FISU Healthy Campus
The FISU sports events are characterised by special atmosphere, an extensive sports, educational and cultural programme, variety and a high level of competition. They are a springboard for other major events at the international and continental levels. The competition is open to student-athletes aged 17 to 25 including those who have graduated from university or a similar institution not more than a year ago.
FISU World University Games (winter and summer editions) are staged every two years in odd-numbered years in different cities. This celebration of international student sport and culture brings together thousands of student-athletes by making it one of the biggest and most prestigious multi-sport events in the world.
FISU World University Championships are significant FISU sports events that take place every two years in even-numbered years. They could be sport-specific competitions or a small group competitions. They give cities and universities the opportunity to host a major international sports event at minimal cost.
FISU University World Cups are a new FISU sports event created to complement the FISU World University Games and FISU World University Championships. FISU World Cups are played in a university versus university format. Bringing student flair and competing amongst fellow students at an international level is an experience not found anywhere else in sport.
In addition to sports events, FISU runs educational events and programmes that provide students with opportunities for personal development, communication, exchange of ideas and shared learning. Such events as FISU World Forum, FISU World Conference, FISU Volunteer Leaders Academy, International Day of University Sport, FISU Healthy Campus cover a wide range of topics and attract groups of highly qualified professionals from a variety of professions.
FISU education aims to help students acquire and develop leadership skills in order to increase their level of participation in society.
FISU World University Games
FISU University World Cups
FISU World University Championships
FISU World Forum
FISU World Conference
FISU Volunteer Leaders Academy
International Day of University Sport
FISU World University Games
- EXCELLENCE (of moral values, physical fitness, lifestyle) – the pursuit of excellence in sport and education.
- TEAMWORK – bringing together individual abilities to provide a coordinated effort to develop and promote student sport.
- INNOVATION – embracing new forms of event organisation and cutting-edge technology to improve the experience and experience of participants.
- JOY OF SPORTS – creating positive emotions through participation in sports events among students and the creation of fan groups around the world.
- HONESTY – everything the FISU does is clean, transparent and focused on promoting fair play. Athletes deserve to be treated fairly and ethically by all those who work in the world of sport.
FISU official site